Many filmmakers use DaVinci Resolve as their Video Editing platform on their computer, but Blackmagic Design has announced that a DaVinci Resolve for iPad version will be available soon
DaVinci Resolve for iPad features
The new DaVinci Resolve for iPad is made to provide 4x faster ULTRA HD ProRes rendering performance on the new iPad Pro with the M2 chip.
Don't have the latest model? No problem, HDR is also supported for those using a 12,9-inch iPad Pro with M1 chip.
In addition, it is possible to forward the output of the feed grading monitor to another Apple monitor, such as Apple Studio Display, Pro Display XDR or an AirPlay-compatible display.
The features of this new version of DaVinci Resolve 18 for iPad are optimized for MultiTouch technology and the Apple Pencil. In addition, they give users access to DaVinci's image technology, color finishing tools, and up-to-date HDR workflows.
The projects designed with the iPad are standard DaVinci Resolve project files, so they can be opened on the Desktop version of DaVinci Resolve 18.
This new version for iPad allows filmmakers to import clips directly from:
- iPad internal storage
- iPad photo library
- iCloud connected externally
- USB-C media disks
In addition, the supported file formats are H.264, H.265, Apple ProRes and Blackmagic RAW.
Like Grant Pretty, the CEO of Blackmagic Design, stated, this new iPad version puts the power of Hollywood post-production tools for editing and color grading right in the hands of users. It's only a matter of time before we can distribute our professional video editing workflows on our iPads.
Availability and price
By the end of the year, this new version will be available for free download in Apple's App Store. So filmmakers can choose between the free version or an upgrade to DaVinci Resolve Studio for iPad via an in-app purchase.
Once purchased you have lifetime access.
However, if you have previously upgraded to the DaVinci Resolve Studio version on your Mac or PC, it is not yet certain whether you need to make an additional purchase.
Which iPad will support DaVinci Resolve?
The press release on Blackmagic Design's website confirms that a powerful device will definitely be needed to support this software. Therefore, the app will be compatible with devices running iPadOs 16 or later.
In summary, below are the main features of DaVinci Resolve for iPad:
- The edit page for editing and the color pages are optimized for the 12,9-inch iPad Pro screen.
- Up to 4x Ultra HD ProRes rendering performance improvement with the M2 chip.
- Supports Apple Neural Engine features in DaVinci Resolve Studio for iPad.
- Compatible with DaVinci Resolve 18 project files.
- Supports multi-user collaboration via Blackmagic Cloud.
- Supports H.264, H.265, ProRes and Blackmagic RAW media files.
- Support clips from iPad storage, photo library and iCloud.
- Supports importing clips from external USB-C drives.
- Works with Apple Pencil, Magic Trackpad, Magic Keyboard and Smart Keyboard Folio.
- Remote control via Apple Studio Display, Pro Display XDR or an AirPlay display.
- Supports HDR display on 12,9-inch iPad Pro with the M1 chip.
- Compatible with iPadOS 16 or newer.